Powered By Blogger

Monday 11 April 2011

Butchers Fair

It was this man, Ed Bedington the Editor of the Meats Trade Journal, who asked on Twitter "are you coming to the Butchers Fair?" what could I say to the man who organises such an event, I replied with such conviction "yes, of coarse" as if I attend such show's all of the time. Thankfully I had read about the show just that very day, I replied with "it's at Newbury Racecourse, isn't it Ed?" phew that was close! Actually folk's the show was incoporated with a Bakery Fair, they had joined forces and worked together to put on a great event. What a cracking venue! Not only that, but it was all FREE! Talking about free, the exibitors were all very generous in handing out their samples for you to try or take home.
The fair was held over 3 floors of one of the grandstand buildings. I think Linda Lusardi who had been booked to hand out the prize-giving, was being held upstairs in the Penthouse Suite. SUGAR, my pass was the wrong colour to get me entry, ah well, your loss Linda!!



Scobies Direct who I have used many times had travelled all the way from Glasgow to exhibit, congratulations to them for their commitment, for they were many more companies like them who were absent. Well done lad's!

As often at these type of shows, they were plenty of stands displaying their wares, this one by Dalziel caught my eye. They were many suites around this stand, but the chap in the butchers apron and who had put this display together had trained in Germany like myself. If I was handing out prizes for best display, this chap would of won! Well Done and congratulations!


I can see the Princes roast and the Pin wheels being re-named as of this month, can you? Maybe to Williams Roast & Catherines Wheel.


Upstairs on the third floor was where the judging took place of all the meat and bakery items that had been brought to the show.


I counted at least 15 judges and all of them taking it very seriously indeed, each item entered was weighed, disected, tasted, prodded and poked and then commented and scored.


I'm digressing here slightly but worth mentioning, I had travelled from Devon the day before in order to visit the show. I stayed at http://www.hareandhoundshotel.net/ a bargain at £36.50 for B&B and only 10 minutes from the racecourse. Remember to call first and ask for any special offers!





Included in the bakery section were some lovely cupcakes, (did I really just say that?) I can't believe that "I" am banging on about some bloomin fairy cakes!! Where's Jean from http://www.delightfulrepast.com/ when you need her?





Then came the bread, I adore freshly baked loaves, warm bread from the oven, sliced thickly with a melting lump of butter on top, hmmmmm




Weddings cakes seemed to take on a certain theme at this competition, can you guess what theme that might be?


Zoom in for a closer look of the fine detail on some of these wonderful exhibits.





A great debate going on here over the Hot Cross Buns, such was the debate it caught the attention of the roaming pro-photographer.


All in all, a great day out. So if you weren't there, where were you?

No comments:

Post a Comment